One Thousand Scents

Friday, October 19, 2012

Beast: Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant


Isn't that a great bottle? The stylized elephant is charming, the name "Kenzo" is in tactile raised script in the lower right-hand corner, and there's hardly a straight line to be found, just lush swoops and curves. It's a bottle that wants you hold it, to run your hands over it and explore it.

I wish I could be as enthusiastic about the contents, which you would think would be right up my alley: Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant (to differentiate it from Jungle Le Tigre) is warm and spicy, with a dose of weirdness (always a plus), a rich gourmand oriental anchored by tropical flowers and laden with vanilla. (The official list: mandarin, cardamom, caraway, clove, heliotrope, ylang-ylang, mango, licorice, vanilla, patchouli, cashmeran. Make of that what you will.) But as it develops you discover it's more than just weird: there's something horrifying about it. It's too spicy, too sweet, assaultively so, and it just goes on and on. It's the Attack of the Killer Dessert, a thick, clumsy pot of heavily spiced pudding made by someone who has lost their sense of taste. A lot of people love this: every time I put it on, I just want to take it right back off again.

But the bottle's terrific!

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

  • I just ordered a sample of this, so we'll see how it works on my skin. The spices normally like me, so I'm crossing my fingers.....

    By Blogger Dionne, at 12:20 PM  

  • I actually really like this one - but I am known to like weird a lot - good to hear other people's take on this. And I agree that the bottle is terrific!!

    In fact, I recommended it to a friend who wanted a new perfume with a little clove, and she bought a bottle unsniffed and loves it.

    By Blogger Carol, at 1:07 PM  

  • This gets a lot more yeses than noes: most people who try it seem to adore it. (Ordering a sample is a great idea.) And there isn't one thing about the idea behind it that I don't like, and the list of contents and the description of it both put it firmly in the category of things that I love. But it just doesn't work on me! At all! It is one of the enduring mysteries of perfumery.

    By Blogger pyramus, at 5:11 PM  

  • This gets a lot more yeses than noes: most people who try it seem to adore it. (Ordering a sample is a great idea.) And there isn't one thing about the idea behind it that I don't like, and the list of contents and the description of it both put it firmly in the category of things that I love. But it just doesn't work on me! At all! It is one of the enduring mysteries of perfumery.

    By Blogger pyramus, at 5:11 PM  

  • it sure is one of the enduring mysteries - how the same or similar notes in one beloved fragrance doesn't make it's magic known in another fragrance. And so fun to sleuth it out!

    By Blogger Carol, at 12:54 PM  

  • Have you ever smelled ETRO Raving? I think they smell almost exactly alike!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:03 PM  

  • Have you ever smelled ETRO Raving? I think they smell almost exactly alike!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home