One Thousand Scents

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Search and Rescue

From W, formerly Women's Wear Daily, a piece about discontinued fragrances and cosmetics, and the lengths people will go to to get more:

My own attack of product-separation anxiety was triggered by the disappearance of Helmut Lang Cuiron Pour Homme cologne. Just months after I co-opted the meant-for-men scent from my husband, the label decided to get out of the fragrance business. Once I finished our one and only vial, I took to wandering longingly past the now shuttered Lang perfume store on Greene Street in New York’s SoHo, remembering a time when the shop brimmed with bottles of the leathery elixir. Finally, I discovered that a few shady-sounding online retailers with names like Perfumes 4 U still stocked the juice, and I loaded up. I have four bottles left, enabling me to accept my fragrance fate slowly.

And from London's Daily Mail, an article about fragrance fanatics (such as, presumably, ourselves) and the lengths they will go to to have what they want:

Sniffing and swooning their way around the world's most elite fragrance boutiques or scouring eBay for half-finished bottles of rare, highly prized scents such as Chypre by Coty or Nombre Noir by Shiseido, the perfumistas amass fragrances in the way that other women collect shoes.

Note to that Daily Mail scribe: they're not all women.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home