One Thousand Scents

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Attack Mode: Serge Lutens Datura Noir

The name "Datura Noir" conjures up images of bygone Oriental exoticism and heady mysteries. It sounds lusciously dangerous. It could be a little vial of poison, or the perfume a femme fatale would wear when setting her trap for the film noir antihero.

What a disappointment to discover that it is basically a huge--huge--white floral based on the tuberose. There are other things in it--a bright transparency at the beginning like a window, a splash of coconut water and perhaps a smidgen of almond extract--but nothing can survive the onslaught of that steamroller tuberose. If you like tuberose perfumes, then by all means give it a try. Otherwise, run away. I did.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • Do you really get tuberose from DN? I don't, but I love it in any case - to me it's all about the swampy danger of night-blooming flowers like its namesake. It's the most powdery perfume that I actually love, because I am not a powder person, but something about it just calls to me.

    By Blogger Flora, at 12:21 AM  

  • Not JUST tuberose, but on my skin and to my nose, it reads as a big white floral, which I don't necessarily hate, but I don't think this one works. I am normally a fan of Lutens, that should be obvious; even the florals usually work for me. But not this one.

    By Blogger pyramus, at 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home