One Thousand Scents

Monday, January 24, 2011

Familiarity: Keiko Mecheri Cuir Cordoba

When I wrote about Keiko Mecheri's Datura Blanche, launched in 2009, I also mentioned Serge Lutens' 2001 Datura Noir, and with good reason: they're exceedingly similar, except the Mecheri is far stronger and sweeter then the Lutens.

When I smelled Mecheri's Cuir Cordoba (also 2009), my immediate response to it was that it was a copy of Lutens' 2004 Daim Blond, except much louder, much leatherier, much irisier, and much sweeter--noxiously so in each respect.

I am not saying that Mecheri is deliberately aping Lutens' work but increasing the wattage for shock effect, for people--who are they?--who don't think Lutens' scents are potent enough. It could certainly be a coincidence. And that it all I have to say about that. If you like huge quantities of iris, then perhaps this is your cup of tea. On me it's horrifying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home