One Thousand Scents

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Don't: Derring-Do by Ineke

I am trying to like these, I swear I am, but the best I can say about the line so far is that each scent is better than the last, as if the perfumer, Ineke Ruhland, is improving over time. But I still don't think Derring-Do is particularly special.

As you can tell from the packaging, this is meant to be a masculine scent, and it is, I guess; a fresh fougere with a neutral floral heart. (The notes: citrus blend, rain notes, cyclamen; magnolia, fougere notes; guaiacwood, cedarwood, musk.) It smells just as synthetic as the rest of her scents do to me, and in fact all four of them that I've tried so far have the same palmprint, so perhaps she's concocted a mostly synthetic accord that she uses in all her scents as a sort of not-very-good Guerlinade. Derring-Do isn't terrible; it's just not something that I would even consider wearing. It just is, that's all, and that's not good enough.

Were you perhaps wondering where the term "derring-do" came from? Wonder no more.

1 Comments:

  • I have the same issues you do with Ineke. It's like the Emperor's New Clothes for me when other people talk about what they smell; all I get is unpleasantness while they talk about lovely scents. Relieved to hear you call it like you smelled it, though sorry you wasted your money on the set.

    By Blogger Nina Zolotow, at 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home