One Thousand Scents

Friday, August 02, 2013

Soldiering On: Three More by Fueguia 1833


Acacia ("mimosa, iris, acacia caven"): Genuinely weird floral, and not in a good way. Baffling cucumbery top, then too much iris. I am not a fan of iris but this one is particularly awful to my nose. 


Naranjo en Flor ("neroli, mimosa, petitgrain"): Angular green top, then cheap shampoo. I am not a fan of orange blossom (there are exceptions) but this one is particularly awful to my nose.


Humboldt ("bergamot, passionfruit, tangerine"): Synthetic fruit-scented air freshener.

My God, I can hear you saying, don't you like anything? Well, yeah, I liked Mbucuruya a whole lot, and if someone gave me a bottle I'd wear it all the time. But it is increasingly obvious that as a whole, the Fueguia 1833 collection is just not for me, at all. However many elements each scent actually does contain, the nucleus-plus-two-electrons focus makes most of them smell underdeveloped and thin, because there aren't enough other components to add complexity and draw attention away from anything that might not be quite working. And most of them just smell like knockoffs of established ideas: there's hardly anything that's new. (Of the 10 that I've tried so far, only El Mono de la Tinta smells novel to me. Even Mbucuruya calls to mind a vanilla-plus-fruit Comptoir Sud Pacifique scent — albeit a really sublimely good CSP.)

Only seven left to go. There's got to be at least one more winner in the bunch. I live in hope.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home